Here’s a list of 50 substitutions for wheat that will show you how easy it can be to either reduce or eliminate wheat from your menu. No matter what your reason for wanting to avoid or remove wheat from your diet there are lots of alternatives to choose from. Even if you don’t want to stop eating wheat products, variation in your diet can be a good thing. New taste sensations are fun, and you’ll find some of the substitutes are valuable additions to a nutritional improvement in your diet. And that’s always a good thing.
So whether you have decided to begin living a wheat-free lifestyle or just want more variation in your diet, this list of 50 substitutions for wheat makes it easy for you to start making healthy changes right away.
12. 100% rye
13. 100% oat
14. 100% pumpernickel
15. Wheat-free cakes and biscuits can be made with alternative flours
16. Corn tortillas can be used instead of sandwich bread when you just have a desire for a sandwich
17. Gluten-free oats for breadcrumbs. Process a few seconds in the food processor for quick breadcrumbs. Add herbs and Parmesan cheese for a great Italian flavor.
18. Oatcakes and oat crackers are easy to find in stores.
19. Brown rice tortillas are a good substitute for crackers. Cut them into squares and toast.
20. Corn flour, potato flour or arrowroot work well as thickeners for gravy and sauces.
21. Look for wheat-free broths in your local store.
22. Or make your own chicken, beef and vegetable stocks. That way, you know exactly what’s in it.
23. Rice pasta, corn pasta and quinoa pasta are available online and in stores.
24. Use buckwheat pasta.
25. Certain vegetables like spaghetti squash, eggplant and zucchini work well as a pasta substitute.
26. Use polenta instead of pasta.
27. Grated cooked cauliflower can stand in for couscous.
28. Quinoa has almost the exact same texture as couscous and it’s packed with nutrients and protein.
29. Choose Shirotaki or Konjac noodles instead of wheat pasta.
30. Sliver carrots to replace spaghetti noodles.
31. Gluten-free beer, lager and stout are becoming more readily available.
32. Go for the vino. Wine is grain free and lower in carbs than beer.
Looking for Gluten-Free Beer. Check out what Ben has to say:
33. Chorizo for regular sausage. Many sausages are made with a good amount of wheat-based rusk.
34. Mashed potatoes for pizza crust. Just mix one serving with 1/4 cup alternative flour. Smooth out onto a cookie sheet and bake until crisp.
35. Ground cooked cauliflower is great for pizza crust as well.
36. Use lettuce leaves in place of tortilla wraps.
37. Corn tortillas can be used instead of flour tortillas in almost all cases.
38. Replace your morning oatmeal with grits.
39. Cornmeal pancakes work well in place of wheat flour pancakes.
40. Meringue can substitute for pre-made frosting that sometimes has wheat-based thickeners.
41. Use chopped nuts instead of granola.
42. Soy sauce can be replaced with Tamari. It’s still a type of soy sauce but it’s wheat free.
43. Rice cakes can stand in for just about anything including pizza crust, crackers or even bread.
44. Use large Portabella mushrooms as hamburger buns. Just grill or roast them first.
45. Replace sugary snacks with popcorn, corn puffs, rice crackers or Rice Krispies cereal. Or raw fruits and vegetables.
46. Switch to more salads or soups instead of having a sandwich for lunch.
47. Indulge your sweet tooth with chocolate if cakes and pastries must go.
48. Use chunks of starchy potatoes to thicken soups and stews instead of flour.
49. Have eggs for breakfast. Mix up an omelet with fresh vegetables for a satisfying start to your day.
50. Grated raw cauliflower can stand in for steamed rice. No need to cook it. Goes wonderfully with stir fries and curries.
Readers who liked 50 Substitutions for Wheat also liked: Black Bean Brownies
You may have felt overwhelmed before not knowing where to start since it seems like everything from bread to ice cream has wheat in it. If you were feeling that there might not be anything left to eat - or even that it could be easy for you to go without wheat, but how would you feed your children - now you have some answers. As you’ve just seen, the good news is there are plenty of ingredients you can substitute for wheat that will make your meal planning run more smoothly.
50 Substitutions for Wheat; Return To Homepage
If you are:
arranged this special deal that you can get for FREE TODAY!
CLICK THE BANNER BELOW FOR INSTANT ACCESS.
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow. And talk about a Best Pennywise deal – our website program
has done a million dollar PLUS upgrade – without charging us a single cent! Now
that’s a deal.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
May 19, 17 04:35 PM
The secret to learning how to attract butterflies to your garden is making your yard more inviting to them.
May 19, 17 04:27 PM
There are so many ways on how to attract bees into your yard or garden, just as there are many good reasons why we need to help save the bees. They are vital to the health of agriculture and
Apr 22, 17 01:04 AM
If you really want to GO Green – that is, be ecologically sound – one of the first things is to learn how to make compost. We all eat, so we all can compost.