Apple Squares with Sauce: a delicious cake with a brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk sauce to make it the highlight of any meal. This recipe is something like an upside down cake that is right side up. Instead of the brown sugar and fruit being on the bottom, the batter is poured into the pan first and the apples slices with a bit of cinnamon and sugar are layered on top.
There's a bit more involved with this recipe (just the egg whites) but you'll feel pleased to be getting some extra fruit into your meals. Apples are usually a good buy throughout the year, too.
My mom always poked holes in the top of the cake to let the warm sauce soak in a little bit more. Yummy!
This delicious cake is special enough for company treats from brunch and lunch through to dinner but are sure to be a family pleaser, too.
They just might disappear at snack time!
I haven't frozen them yet, but generally baking with fruit in it freezes well, so this can fit well into your menu planning for the month.
Apple Squares with Sauce
4 egg yolks (save the egg whites)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup flour
4 egg whites (the saved ones)
3 sweet apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup butter, do not melt
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the eggs. Beat 3 minutes.
3. Pour in the melted butter and beat an additional 1 minute.
4. Add the flour and continue beating until the mixture becomes very smooth.
5. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Beat until light peaks begin to form.
6. Place the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and mix to combine well.
7. Spray a square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust with flour.
8. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan.
9. Place the apple slices on the top.
10. Put 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon into a bowl and toss to combine. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.
11. Bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Brown Sugar Topping Sauce:
1. Place the brown sugar in a saucepan. Pour the water in on top of the brown sugar. Pour in the corn syrup. Mix well.
2. Place the pan over medium low heat. Cook 3 minutes, stirring continuously until the brown sugar has fully dissolved.
3. Add the butter and continue cooking 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the butter has melted.
4. Turn off the heat and add the milk to the mixture. Stir to mix all together completely.
When the cake is done allow it cool about 10 minutes. Cut the cake into squares.
Serve with the warm sauce poured over the top of each cake square.
Don't Forget To Claim Your
FREE "Saving Money on Groceries" Ebook -
Simply Click the Book below!
If you are:
arranged this special deal that you can get for FREE TODAY!
CLICK THE BANNER BELOW FOR INSTANT ACCESS.
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow. And talk about a Best Pennywise deal – our website program
has done a million dollar PLUS upgrade – without charging us a single cent! Now
that’s a deal.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
Aug 20, 17 04:00 PM
More of Grandmas household tips from the 1960's that were popular and often shared among homemakers of that era and even earlier. One can guess
Jul 22, 17 07:48 PM
Here’s 50 ways to fast cash that you can do right now. These are ways others have made fast cash and you can, too.
May 19, 17 04:35 PM
The secret to learning how to attract butterflies to your garden is making your yard more inviting to them.