When spring is on its way, it is the perfect time for planting roses. For all their luxurious beauty, roses are not hard to grow, requiring no great skill or a lot of experience, In fact, if you like roses, they’re a wonderful plant to add to your garden. They are a very popular bloom, not only do they look good, but they smell wonderful too.
However, planting roses cannot be done just anywhere or in just any climate. They need rather a common sense type of special care and treatment.
Here are some basic tips to help you successfully grow roses:
1. Location: Roses require about 4 to 6 hours of sunlight every day. They do best when planted in a clear area without too much competition from trees or other types of plants. Leave them room for their roots to grow and the sunlight to reach them.
2. Trellis: If you are planting climbing roses, provide a trellis, fence or support for it to grow on. Climbing roses on pergolas and archways look lovely but give them the space they will need as they grow.
3. Arrangement: Roses look good in island beds mixed with perennials. Smaller roses make great edging plants, which are perfect for combining in front of taller species.
Best Pennywise Tips: Roses planted in front of windows create a good deterrent for thieves. Too many thorns!
4. Consider your local conditions and prepare the rose planting area to a depth that is suitable for your weather; if you live where there is a colder winter, with a deeper frost, you may need to plant your rose a little deeper. Ask for advice at your local garden center.
This rose bush is tied to and supported by the wall.
Not sure if I would feel that this is the best location for planting roses - but the plant is thriving!
5. Dig The Hole: Before planting roses, dig a hole large enough for the size of the root ball, remembering to loosen the soil in the bottom of the hole. My dad always threw in a handful of bonemeal, too. Good idea, as it is a slow acting resource of phosphorus that will help establish a healthy root growth for your roses.
(If you wish to replace an old rose bush, you should remove about 1 ½ cubic feet of the old soil and replace it with new soil so that the newly planted rose will have fresh soil to start with. )
6. Plant Gently: Before you start to plant roses, add some compost or peat moss to the bottom of the hole. Then mix the rest of the soil with more compost or peat moss to lighten it and make it easier for the roots to spread out in.
When you are planting them, place them in the prepared hole with care so you don’t harm the roots. Refill the hole with soil so that the roots are covered completely up to the crown slightly deeper than it was before. Before you make the final covering, water the rose.
Tamp the soil down gently and water well.
Some people like to pile the earth up about 8 inches to keep the stems from drying out until the plant is completely rooted. As the leaves open, you then remove the excess soil that surrounds the plant.
These some important tips you need to consider when planting roses. It will be worth the effort, as your roses will bloom beautifully and you'll enjoy their beauty and scent for years to come.
Follow The Best Pennywise Blog for more updates.
If you are:
arranged this special deal that you can get for FREE TODAY!
CLICK THE BANNER BELOW FOR INSTANT ACCESS.
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow. And talk about a Best Pennywise deal – our website program
has done a million dollar PLUS upgrade – without charging us a single cent! Now
that’s a deal.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
Feb 22, 17 01:50 PM
Attract bees? Attract Butterflies? Now build a natural bird feeder to attract and keep your local bird population.
Feb 10, 17 12:57 AM
You will find these 30 WordPress tips handy if you work from home or are wanting to build a second income stream or add to your list of side hustles.
Jan 04, 17 02:35 AM
PLR Business Start-Up Tips What is a PLR Business and how do I get started? are some of the first questions people ask when they are looking for a home business that is a good fit.