Rutabaga Apple Casserole is either a casserole with fruit or a dessert with vegetables, flavored with cinnamon and sugar. Too good!
I love rutabagas (like turnips but without the bite) and, as a child, one of my favorite dishes was mashed rutabagas and potatoes mixed together. Rutabagas also pair well with apples and served this way with cinnamon and sugar make a delicious dish. If you want to sneak another vegetable into your family's diet, here's an easy way to do it.
The rutabaga is a nutritious, unusual root vegetable that pairs well with apples. It is something like a turnip, but it tends to be larger and has yellow flesh and a sweet flavor without the "bite" that turnips impart. Try combining apples and rutabaga in this yummy, seasonal casserole.
Rutabaga Apple Casserole
1 large rutabaga
1 tablespoon butter
2 to 3 apples, or enough to make 1 1/2 cups of slices (Granny Smith or Pink Lady are good choices)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1. Peel and coarsely chop the rutabaga and cook until soft. The most energy-efficient way to do this is in a microwave - put the chopped rutabaga into a 1-quart casserole dish that is microwave safe. Add 2 tablespoons of water, cover, and microwave on high for about 5 minutes, stirring one time.
2. Preheat oven to 350, and grease or butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
3. Mash the cooked rutabaga and add the tablespoon of butter, incorporating it into the mashed rutabaga.
4. Peel and slice the apples. Put them in a bowl and add 1/4 brown sugar and the cinnamon. Toss to combine.
5. In the 2-quart casserole, layer the mashed rutabaga with the sugared apple slices, starting and ending with the rutabaga.
6. To make the topping, mix flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, fork, or butter knives until it is crumbly. Sprinkle this over the top of the casserole and bake for 1 hour.
Serve 6 people.
If you are:
arranged this special deal that you can get for FREE TODAY!
CLICK THE BANNER BELOW FOR INSTANT ACCESS.
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow. And talk about a Best Pennywise deal – our website program
has done a million dollar PLUS upgrade – without charging us a single cent! Now
that’s a deal.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
Nov 24, 17 06:48 PM
Here's 10 Santa snacks your favorite Christmas Elf will be sure to love. You'll be ready when he pops down the chimney!
Nov 24, 17 05:46 PM
Here are some of our favorite collected quotes. (And we've been collecting them for a long time!) There are some famous sayings and wise words - some to enjoy and some to share.
Nov 23, 17 05:07 PM
Elisabeth sent in this recipe for a delicious homemade easy Cabbage Pork Stew - watch for the surprise ingredient.