Here we are at 30 Healthy Fat Tips 21-30. You'll have noticed in our series 30 Healthy Fat Tips, that there really are lots of delicious ways that make it easy for you to now jump in and start switching to healthy fats.
In the last 10 tips, 30 Healthy Fat Tips 21 - 30, you'll find more ideas on how to incorporate tofu and Omega-3 fatty acids into your diet plus why it's a good idea to eat eggs and yogurt on a regular basis.
But wait till you get to tip # 30. Yum! What a way to get healthy! It's just about everybody's favorite way to get healthy fats into your diet!
See if you can guess what it is - no fair peeking now.
21. Use low-fat versions of high-fat foods. Some fat is good for us, but there is no need to consume full-fat items if there are low-fat alternatives.
Look for low-fat cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt and milk to keep down the amount of dietary cholesterol and calories you are consuming.
22. Eat more tofu. Soybeans have the highest amount of protein of any member of the bean family, with a low percentage of fat, making it an excellent substitute for meat in your cooking. Try a stir-fry using sesame oil to get the flavor of a Chinese restaurant with none of the hidden dangers found in many prepackaged foods. Some researchers express concern at eating too much soy, especially genetically modified (GMO) soy.
Look for organic tofu if you are concerned about GMO foods and cook more from scratch if you are worried about soy being added to many prepackaged foods as a thickener and source of protein.
If you haven't tried cooking tofu before, here's an easy recipe to start with. Tofu is frequently used in Stir Fry recipes. It has a bland taste which makes it perfect for absorbing the flavors of marinades.
The marinade in this vegetarian style recipe for Spicy Tofu Stir Fry from our Healthy Harvest Cookbook is spicy and bursting with the flavors of lime, chili and garlic.
Not only is this recipe, Spicy Tofu Stir Fry fun and quick to cook, it's also super easy on the budget making it a Best Pennywise Choice.
1 large mango, peeled, stoned and diced into small cubes
Juice of one lime
½ small chili, seeded and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
8 ounces of tofu, cubes
1 small red onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons sesame oil
4 ounces of kale, finely shredded
3 ounces of cooked noodles
1. Preheat oven to 325F. mix the mango, lime juice, chili and 1 garlic clove in a large baking tray.
2.Add the tofu, mix well and set aside for 30 minutes so that tofu can absorb marinade.
3.Then place the tofu mixture in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
4. While the tofu is baking, heat the oil in a wok and add the onion and sauté for approximately 4 minutes.
5. Add the remaining garlic and sauté another minute and set aside.
6. In a separate pan cook the noodles according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
7. Add the kale to the garlic and onions and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Add the drained noodles to the wok and mix together well with the kale and garlic.
9. Remove the tofu and vegetables from oven and add to wok. Toss everything together well and serve.
23. Add Omega-3 fatty acids to your diet to improve heart health. Sources include salmon and other fatty fish and sunflower, soybean, walnut, and corn oils.
24. Boost your Intake of Omega-6 fatty acids in moderation. Omega-6 fatty acids are thought to also aid in heart health, though according to recent studies, too much can be a bad thing.
Flax seed is an excellent source of both Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Flax seed has a wonderful nutty taste and texture.
Add to cereal and smoothies or sprinkle on salads.
25. Opt for lean cuts of meat. Many people avoid beef and pork because they consider them to be too fatty. The truth is that there are a lot of lean cuts of meat you can buy in the supermarket once you know what to look for, such as a minute steak or a pork loin roast.
One pork loin can make many meals economically smart, from a roast dinner to stir-fry, tacos, and most other meals in which you would use white-meat chicken.
Use portion control to make sure you do not overdo it on the protein and fat.
A three-ounce portion of meat is roughly the size of a deck of playing cards or the palm of an average sized adult hand.
26. Choose your protein carefully. A lot of people think they have to give up bacon and other tasty meats because they are high in fat. The truth is they can be enjoyed in moderation if you make sensible choices. Try Canadian or back bacon instead of bacon streaked with fat. Also try a homemade ham steak.
The main danger with processed meats like bacon is all the chemicals, salt and preservatives the food industry puts into them. One other concern is with meats that get overcooked and become charred. This has been associated with increased risk of prostate cancer in men.
If you do choose to eat bacon, cook until crisp but not overdone.
Use a couple of slices on the side of your eggs in the morning, or as the topping for a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich (BLT) loaded with the salad items and a thin smear of mayo or guacamole.
27. Choose your cheese wisely. Hard cheeses such as cheddar have less fat than soft cheeses such as Brie or Bleu cheese.
If you are going to eat cheese, learn to recognize portion sizes and then practice portion control.
One ounce of cheese is about the size of two dice.
28. Add Greek-style yogurt to your diet. Yogurt is good for maintaining digestive health, adding immune system-boosting probiotics through its active cultures.
Studies have also shown that eating yogurt can curb cravings and lead to weight loss. Greek-style yogurt has twice the protein as regular yogurt for the same number of calories and will also make you feel fuller for longer.
Yogurt can be easily used smoothies, frozen treats, sauces, and salad dressings besides just enjoying a bowl of it for dessert or a snack.
Here's an almost instant way to enjoy it for a light lunch. If you can keep the yogurt chilled, this might be perfect for work or school lunches, too.
2/3 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh fruit
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts (some like them slightly toasted)
5 wholegrain crackers, 1 wholegrain roll or I slice wholegrain bread
Optional: A sprinkle of Chia or Flax seeds and cinnamon.
Using thawed frozen fruits are tasty, too, when fresh fruits are not as readily available. We love ours with fresh sliced bananas and thawed frozen blueberries, raspberries or cherries topping a bowl of whole grain cereal, instead of the crackers or roll, for breakfast.
29. Eat eggs. A lot of people steer clear of eggs due to the cholesterol, but the diet is just one part of the cholesterol picture. We can control our dietary intake of cholesterol to some extent, but skipping eggs can mean we are missing out on all of the protein and valuable nutrients packed into that one small shell, all for only about 70 to 90 calories.
Eggs will help you feel full for longer and are highly portable. Boil up a couple so you can have a tasty snack you can take anywhere.
Cheese and eggs are the main snacks permitted on a low carb diet because they leave you feeling satisfied for hours after eating, and much less likely to grab sugary foods due to carb cravings.
30. Choose chocolate. Dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa solids, such as 70% to 90%, have been shown to contain healthy fats and other disease-fighting nutrients.
One ounce a day of high-quality chocolate can satisfy your sweet tooth even as it improves your health.
Avoid milk chocolate or white chocolate due to the large amounts of sugar and other added ingredients that dilute the heart-healthy cocoa solids.
That's it! 30 Healthy Fat Tips 21-30 is the last of our 30 Healthy Fat Tips series.
Slowly but surely these are all healthy eating and shopping tips that are possible to incorporate into your lifestyle, one or two at a time. Even swapping out one healthy fat for an unhealthy one, cooking one more meal at home with healthy fats and nibbling on an olive or handful of nuts instead of chips will make a difference - and, I guess, that as soon as you start making small changes you will be ready to make a complete shift.
There's comfort in knowing you are doing the best for YOU and your family!
(Oh, you know that unhealthy oil that was sitting in your cupboard? Don't just toss it out! Toss it to the garage where it will be handy to oil the edge of your snow shovel next winter. (Sorry but this is the Best Pennywise Tips site. Couldn't help it.)
Is this YOU? You read 30 Healthy Fat Tips and - bingo! - your life changes for the better. You no longer eat anything that is bad for you, your health improves and you sing a new song - until you get tempted (which is often about the time your friends get tired of hearing about your new healthy eating habits).
It sounds so easy to improve eating habits, you know it's merely a matter of mind over cravings, so simple. Right?
But not for all of us. Even though we read 30 Healthy Fat Tips and vow to make changes sometimes we need help.
Healthy eating can be a challenge. It’s not easy to always take full responsibility for your own health in order to make changes. Temptations are everywhere. Perhaps, you’ve found, like many others, that all too often and worst of all, is that temptations speak to us through our mind, weakening our resolve. Other people go too far and the desire to eat and be healthy takes over their life. Balance is always the key, isn’t it?
If you are looking for balance working through the psychological aspects of healthy eating, confused resolve, and out of balance thinking can be as easy as, making changes in your mind.
Hypnosis is a gentle but effective way to come to terms with the psychological aspects of how your mind may be holding you back from achieving the health you desire while keeping your life in balance. Simply by re-educating your unconscious mind you can learn to take back control and gain the healthy lifestyle you dream of having in your future.
As a hypnosis practitioner, I know it works - I use it myself - and I have seen the difference it makes in the lives of others helping them to improve their well-being and health.
If you can't get in for personal sessions in your community, or are looking for a more frugal way to access this help at improving your diet and health, I highly recommend:
30 Healthy Fat Tips: Return To Homepage
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
Jul 28, 18 01:45 AM
Have you found yourself thinking that small healthy changes won’t make much difference? Easier? Sure. Effective? No.
Jul 27, 18 02:14 AM
Lots of tips, recipes, games, and fun ideas in our Holiday Tips Index. Go ahead and make your holidays more fun for all your family and friends. Some of these can turn into pennywise gifts you'll be p…
Jul 24, 18 05:45 PM
Learning how to customize WordPress with Themes & Plug Ins just got easier with our step-by-step tips. So now that you’ve got WordPress installed you can move ahead to the fun part.