Don’t let your home be a real money waster. Learn to save money at home and you’ll find doing a few simple things can minimize energy costs and bring your bills down.
1. Energy Proof Your Home. Make sure your home is properly insulated, and you could save hundreds of dollars per year on your electric bill. Make sure all windows and doors are properly sealed. The attic and basement or crawl spaces are also all very important areas to monitor. If your home is not properly insulated, cold air can get in and you will raise the temperature on the thermostat. This can cause heating bills to skyrocket.
The same goes for the warmer months. Hot air comes in and cold air conditioned air escapes, making the temperature inside uncomfortable. This prompts you to crank the AC down, resulting in your unit having to work harder, which in turn costs more to operate.
2. Learn to Save Money on Appliances. If you decide to invest in new home appliances, be sure they are ENERGY STAR compliant. These new devices are made to ensure you get the most usage while still using the least amount of energy. Learn about the products that are available by researching online, asking friends and visiting showrooms.
3. Maintain. Check the air filter in your home monthly and change out as needed. You can easily learn to save money by learning some very easy home maintenance skills. Changing furnace air filters is one of the simplest – but one that could save you big money. Air filters can be purchased for around $4-$6 each. This easy and simple thing can prevent wear and tear on your home’s air conditioner and home heater, and could possibly save you thousands of dollars in potential damage and repair.
4. A digital, programmable thermostat is another great way to save on energy. Using one of these can help you keep the central cooling and heating unit from operating until it reaches a certain desired temperature. You can also program it to turn on a few minutes before you get home each day and off again when you leave. This way, it is only operating when you are home.
5. Turn off the lights whenever you are not in a room, unplug phone chargers and unplug the TV and computer when they are not in use. Going away? Unplug all the power bars, too.
6. Water usage is another thing you can save money on.
Take showers instead of baths and you can save hundreds of gallons per month.
Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth.
Only run the dishwasher and laundry when you have a full load.
Water the lawn or plants at dusk or dawn so less water evaporates. This will also help you water less frequently.
Check your home for leaks under the sink and at every faucet.
7. Garden. Growing your own vegetables at home is also an excellent way to save money and it can be a lot of fun. Instead buying fertilizer, create your own compost using scraps from the kitchen and yard waste.
8. There are also some great ways you can make extra money to help pay bills and avoid late fees. Go through your home and find items you no longer want or use, and schedule a garage sale. Not only does having a garage sale make a great way to earn extra money, but shopping at them yourself can also save you a ton.
Look for other ways to sell gently used clothing, books and video games on auction websites like EBay. These sites are a great way to earn extra cash - and may turn out to be a whole new business for you. If you just want to remove clutter, you can donate items you no longer need to local women's shelters and other non-profit organizations. Check to see if you can claim these donations on your annual tax return as deductions.
Taking the time to learn to save money with a few tips and tricks can add up to a big monthly or annual pay-off. Time well spent.
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
Sep 01, 18 03:55 PM
Attract bees? Attract Butterflies? Now build a natural bird feeder to attract and keep your local bird population.
Jul 28, 18 01:45 AM
Have you found yourself thinking that small healthy changes won’t make much difference? Easier? Sure. Effective? No.
Jul 27, 18 02:14 AM
Lots of tips, recipes, games, and fun ideas in our Holiday Tips Index. Go ahead and make your holidays more fun for all your family and friends. Some of these can turn into pennywise gifts you'll be p…