Zesty Chicken Parmesan with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Marinara Sauce. This cheesy breaded chicken can have a little bit of garlic or add as much as you want for true garlic lovers.
It's excellent to serve for family meals but is more than over the top enough for special company occasions.
Extra shopping tip at bottom of page.
Remember to use an “oven safe” skillet as you’ll be putting it directly into the oven.
2 large eggs
2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
whole garlic cloves, to taste
1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1 jar marinara sauce , any brand
2 cups Italian Cheese Blend (with real parmesan) or mozzarella cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Combine tomatoes, breadcrumbs, and garlic in food processor. Process until tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
4. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
5. Dip chicken into egg mixture and then the breadcrumb mixture.
6. Using an oven ready skillet, heat olive oil to medium heat.
7. Place chicken in the skillet in a single layer and cook 10 minutes. Turn over half way through cooking.
8. Place skillet in the oven and cook for 10 minutes more.
9. Add marinara sauce to chicken and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
10. Sprinkle cheese on top, return to oven and cook for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Options: If you use all shredded mozzarella cheese, you can still sprinkle some fresh shredded parmesan on top.
You can use bone in chicken thighs, but may have to cook just slightly longer.
This is a dish we enjoy with fresh asparagus in the Spring.
Best Pennywise Tip: Chicken breasts - when you buy them on special - are a budget-friendly, very good source of lean protein. The question is always whether you save more if you buy it skin with bones or skinless, boneless.
One tip to help you calculate: When you buy a whole chicken with skin and bones, the waste is about 3 times as much as skinless, boneless.
Therefore, if it is a piece of the bird that doesn't have a lot of bone (like the breast) the waste may not be that high. On the other hand, legs and thighs may have more. It just depends on the piece of meat you're looking at, since some butchers do a better job of trimming.
Also keep in mind, that the bones and trimming may be put to use making Chicken Broth.
Hope you enjoy this recipe for Zesty Chicken Parmesan.
Welcome to Best Pennywise Tips!
Thanks for coming by. We are
currently undergoing a big transition with our website so, please bear with us
as we learn and grow.
Best Pennywise Newsletter (with more tips) and Your Best PennywiseTips! where you can share your tips to save time, money and help others to live frugally.
Sep 01, 18 03:55 PM
Attract bees? Attract Butterflies? Now build a natural bird feeder to attract and keep your local bird population.
Jul 28, 18 01:45 AM
Have you found yourself thinking that small healthy changes won’t make much difference? Easier? Sure. Effective? No.
Jul 27, 18 02:14 AM
Lots of tips, recipes, games, and fun ideas in our Holiday Tips Index. Go ahead and make your holidays more fun for all your family and friends. Some of these can turn into pennywise gifts you'll be p…